- I started my work-study/part-time job last Friday. It's.... interesting. I was hired as an assistant programmer.... until we found out that the head programmer decided to quit. He was on medical leave for about a month, and turned in his resignation this past Monday. So this means that there is no head programmer; some of the people in my department are assuming that I'm his replacement. This couldn't be further from the truth! I was hoping that I could at least sit down with him and go over some of the more important aspects of our systems and the projects that he was working on, but apparently I'm going to be flying blind... and on that note... I may not even be able to get ACCESS to many of the systems because I'm technically work-study and not an actual educational assistant... and I can't be an educational assistant until I get my degree (which is at the end of this semester, but still!). So... we shall see how this plays out. In the meantime, I've been learning more about networking than I ever thought imaginable (I am not a networking girl by any means)
- I am utterly horrified by the lack of documentation at my job. There is no documentation for ANYTHING. Like I said with our head programmer... there's no notes about what he was working on, how things work, basic procedures... the same can be said for ANY other aspect of our systems! Our network admin is SMART... he's been at the school since the early ninties and essentially BUILT our entire network (as in: designed, laid cable/fiber, upgraded, etc) but... there's no documentation ANYWHERE. If anything were to happen to him, we'd be hosed. So badly. I'm going to have to see what I can do about getting a documentation initiative going...
- School started this past Monday. It's been busy! Unfortunately, three of my five classes are 4-hour evening classes, and one of them is on Trivia Night (so from now until December I'm going to miss out on trivia!). This has hit me kinda hard, since Trivia Night is the highlight of my week. It's also my main source of relaxation, so I'm going to have to try to find a surrogate until December... maybe this will mean more quilts being made? Hrm.... I'm taking 15 credit hours in the following:
- Database Programming in VB.NET (includes SQL & ADO.NET)
- Mobile Programming/Android Development (Java)
- Java (taking only for credit/as a refresher)
- Systems Analysis and design
- I'm waiting to hear from Phi Theta Kappa and Alpha Beta Gamma about my honours. I'd really like to join, please. I think my 3.89 GPA speaks for itself and is plenty above your entry barrier...
- Between school and work, I'm pulling 12 hour days at least three days a week. This will be horrible come midterms/finals.
- I am almost finished with my fall quilt; I picked up batting and backing this morning, and I picked up some more brown fabric so I can rip out the part of the leaf pattern I don't like. Tonight, I expect to rip it and re-stitch, and at the very least get the backing, batting, and top pinned together.
- I need to start planning this year's Winter Quilt.
- I need to finish this year's Winter Quilt before December.
- The last few weeks of P90X are on hold! With pulling 12 hour days, I don't know if I have it in me to get up earlier and work out. I'm very sad... I'm gong to try to fit in at least yoga and some weight lifting on the weekends until I can better determine how much working out I can do without burning myself out. I am REALLY, REALLY disappointed, as I was only three weeks away from being a P90X grad! I really hope that I'll be able to integrate working out into my schedule somehow...
- With the job and school, I can already feel the pressure... I've eaten out at Subway and Wendy's already this week... I need to get on top of my diet and make healthier food and STICK TO IT. I've been doing pretty good during the day, but around 5 PM I start to get cranky and lose it and run and grab unhealthy things to eat. I need to experiment with bringing more food and/or different foods to keep me sated.
- The hurricane! We made it through just fine. We lost power for 2 days, had a little flooding in the basement. A tree limb fell in the garden and took out part of the new fence and some plants, but overall we made out okay. We kept entertained by playing scrabble and shut the box by candlelight. I actually enjoyed the experience of not having electricity and being electronically disconnected. You could see the stars at night, and you were forced to interact with those you lived with. We went and hung out with a friend and played Munchkin and watched a little bit of TV (she had power when we didn't). We had a minor scare with our fishtank, as their temperature dropped sharply the first few hours of the outage, but we brought the temp back up with warm water and bundled them under some blankets and they made it out just fine. Mr. Gecko didn't have any issues, and neither did our Betta fishie.
- Chris got a job! We are so excited! Because of the hurricane, he didn't get to start until Thursday, but it's been exciting getting his room together and getting supplies for his classroom. がんばって, baby!
- My newest project: Making a jewelery board! I need some place to hang my growing collection of necklaces that is NOT the corner of my mirror. I picked up a piece of moulding from Home Depot and I am in the process of staining it. When it's done, I'm going to add some glass tile and some brass hooks and it'll be pretty damn functional! It'll only have cost $30 total, and I'll have some supplies left over... I can either make another one, or re-purpose the supplies for other projects. (Photo after the jump)
So needless to say, my eating habits went out the window. Saturday was essentially beer and fries. Hello, carb-city! Sunday was leftovers. Monday was the day we found out that hubbs got his job so we went out to dinner at a nice Italian place. That was also the day that a friend brought over donuts... Hello, carb-city! And yesterday was spent running around, so I had Monday's leftovers for breakfast, a friend and I ate out at Sonic, and we had pasta for dinner since a family member had leftovers they needed to get rid of. It's no wonder that as of this morning my weight is up to 150! Today can be a good food day, but tomorrow is the dreaded Pizza Castle... and then I have no idea what the weekend is going to look like. So I'm pretty much just writing this week off, at this point. I know that when I go back to school my diet is going to be so much healthier.
I've been okay keeping up with working out... Monday I skipped ARX because I was pressed for time, and Tuesday I didn't do Plyo at all, but that's really my only shortcoming. I'm hoping that this isn't going to shoot me in the foot too much...
I also need to start thinking about what I'm going to do when I'm done with P90X! I mean, I'm only 2.5 weeks away, at this point. One regular week and one recovery week and then I'm done. I don't know if I want to do another round (I wouldn't be averse) or if I want to pick up something like Insanity. I feel really good that I've not given up, and my results are pretty good too -- but I still have this gut that needs to be taken care of... admittedly, it's a lot better than when I started, but I still have a long way to go.
Week 11 , Day 1 Measurements
|Measurement||This Week||Last Week||Change||This Week||Beginning||Change|
|Body Fat %||35.9||36.2||-0.3||35.9||39||-3.1|
So, not much change this past week. My weight has been all over the place. Admittedly, I've been ridiculously busy. I had an advising session, an interview, went to the local PYO orchard, started canning everything we hauled back (and oh, what a haul it was!), had trivia night, a night with a friend, set up a potential schedule for my work-study program, finished one book and read the entirety of another.. So it was busy. I probably didn't bring it as much as I should have, and I while I didn't totally blow my diet I didn't do the best I could, either. I also feel like I'm losing momentum with the program as I come to the end.. I only have three weeks left, plus a recovery week.
Part of the upside of going back to school is that I have night classes three days a week. That means three dinners of MY choosing... plus, while I am going to very much miss trivia night, I definitely WON'T miss eating out at Pizza Castle every Thursday. Their food is really gross. And since my work-study is going to be roughly 20 hours a week, my M-Th is going to be packed. As in, 9 AM - 9 PM I'm at the school... I have no idea how I'm going to fit in working out AND getting enough sleep, on top of homework (I'm the crazy person that keeps taking 4 programming languages a semester... Yeah, that makes for FUN finals...). I guess we'll see what happens, but I entirely expect to fall off the wagon.
Week 10 , Day 1 Measurements
|Measurement||This Week||Last Week||Change||This Week||Beginning||Change|
|Body Fat %||36.2||36||0.2||36.2||39||-2.8|